Many of my clients ask me in regards to the big square box within the center area of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a pair of self-closing louvers. It’s a complete house fan and it can either benefit house owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and fewer humid nights
* Make use of it as long as the temperature and humidity outside is a lot more favorable compared to conditions indoors. Should your air conditioner system continues to be operating throughout the day, and the temperature outside drops lower (but the humidity remains to be high), don’t turn the tumblr.com. The vent will suck all of the humid air into your air conditioned house
* The optimum time periods to use it might be, naturally, early morning and evening
If you suffer from allergies, it might not be smart to bring all the pollution in to the house. Your window screens will stop a number of it, but whole house fans are really powerful and can make you sneeze more than ever.
1. Before you turn the fan on, open as much windows and doors as you possibly can, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / hot water heater room doors (when they are louver type, it won’t matter). The suction in the whole house fan (a minimum of at the highest speed) is so great, that without open windows / doors, it is going to draw air from the outside through any possible openings like, for example, through the chimney. Should it be a fireplace chimney and you also don’t remove the ashes… well, it’s will be a mess. When it is a hot water heater / furnace chimney, it may possibly blow off the pilots.
2. When everything is ready, you are able to switch on the entire house fan in most cases throughout the next few seconds you should feel plenty of exterior air flowing throughout the house. Unless…
3. This part is incredibly important as opening the doors and windows – both need to be balanced to function properly as a way to really benefit from the whole house fan operation. Air drawn by the whole house fan has to be discharged with the attic vents for the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created within the attic area will result in the environment which had been just pulled from the house to return with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps within the attic wh0le along with the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation will not be enough to back up the great tumblr post operation; you may need a lot more to transport all of that extra volume of air for the exterior. And also the formula to calculate the square footage of your attic vents required to discharge that air is simple. All you need is the size of all your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, as well as a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is only a sample, calculate all of the rooms in your home you feel must be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you have to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is basically the area of the required attic vents (these combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. In the event the house you’re moving into has the whole house fan already installed, lets hope it was properly sized up for its purpose (there can be a tag around the unit itself), which would be to replace your house air within just a couple of minutes.
5. If you’re normally the one installing the complete house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes as being an optimal time for the house air exchange. To achieve that, you’d must divide your house total air volume (6550 cubic feet from the sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That may give us 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet a minute).
6. An additional critical thing: louvers of the Go Here usually are not air tight and possess no insulation placed onto their surface; they leak air involving the house and attic. I would personally recommend installing a whole house fan cover in attic area to prevent air drafts during the cold season – don’t forget to get rid of it prior to deciding to make use of the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and lots of people never rely on them, nonetheless they might benefit your wallet when you apply the suggestions above. You can find currently other kinds of house ventilation systems available: they are more expensive (2 – three times) but very quiet, more potent, and give air flow for prolonged intervals.